What is Neuro Ophthalmology?
Neuro-Ophthalmology is a specialty that concentrates on the neurological problems related to the eye. Like we all know, the human eye captures the visuals it sees and transmits to the brain to be resolved as images. It is the optic nerve that transmits these visual stimuli and a dysfunction of this entity might cause visual impairment and could even lead to irreparable damage.
Neuro-Ophthalmic issues are quite a concern for doctors, for if not treated on time, it could result in Optic Nerve atrophy (death of the optic nerve).
Some of the most common signs of Optic Nerve Dysfunction includes
- Reduced visual activity all of a sudden
- Double vision and headaches
- A less reactive pupil (pupil is the central part of the eyeball that allows light to pass through)
- Impairment of color vision (especially inability to identify red & green colors)
- Difficulty in seeing light (Photophobia)
- Visual Field Defects (visibility coverage)